Saturday 5 April 2014

'Why I owe everything to Jamie Oliver': EastEnders' Danielle Harold on her very lucky break

Everywhere she goes, EastEnders actress Danielle Harold turns heads - but not, she insists, because she's one of soap's most glamorous stars.
'I get a lot of attention because my hair's so bright - I'm like a human light  bulb,' laughs the bottle-blonde youngster, who plays puffa jacket-wearing loudmouth Lola Pearce. 'I'm really not sexy at all.'
But hang on, Danielle's up for Sexiest Actress at next month's British Soap Awards. 'Oh, can we not talk about that please,' she blushes.
Danielle's up for Sexiest Actress at next month's British Soap Awards.
Danielle's up for Sexiest Actress at next month's British Soap Awards.

'It's so embarrassing. I'm at work so much I can't get my nails or hair done, and my roots are now down to my ears! When I heard I'd been nominated I just laughed.'
Danielle insists landing her 'dream job' in the soap, let alone being nominated for awards, is remarkable.

After missing much of her final year at school due to a serious bladder illness, and ending up as a waitress, the 21-year-old Londoner admits her lifelong acting ambition seemed to be slipping away.
But she had a slice of good fortune when she spotted an advert asking for volunteers for a new Channel 4 show, Jamie's Dream School.
Danielle appeared in the 2011 show - Jamie's Dream School (circled)
Danielle appeared in the 2011 show - Jamie's Dream School (circled)

The documentary series, which aired in 2011, saw Jamie Oliver enrolling  struggling teens into a very special school. Lessons were taught by celebs such as Dr David Starkey (history) and Simon Callow (English).
Danielle applied and was accepted. 'It was either continue waitressing or do Jamie's Dream School. I worried quitting my job would be a mistake but it turned out to be the best decision I've ever made. Jamie was lovely.'
Danielle thrived on the show and won scholarship money to further her career, which she spent on a drama teacher. An introduction to an agent led to her first audition... for the role of Lola in EastEnders.
Danielle with her on screen family, Grandpa, Billy Mitchell and daughter Lexi
Danielle with her on screen family, Grandpa, Billy Mitchell and daughter Lexi

'I was terrified,' she recalls. 'I didn't have a clue how to do an audition. I didn't think I'd get the part, and I was just happy being on set. Afterwards I cried because it was such a relief to get it over with. And when I heard I'd got the job I couldn't believe it.'
A year later, Danielle was at the centre of the special 2012 live episode, when Lola gave birth. And this week she's in the thick of the action again - Lola gets run over by Ronnie Mitchell, and soon Lucy Beale, sister of her on-screen boyfriend Peter, will be murdered by a mystery killer.
'We're all trying to figure out who  it is,' Danielle reveals. 'Even the person who does it doesn't know. I thought people would be worried about it being them, but everyone's just really excited.'
But what about Danielle - isn't she worried about getting the axe? 'Not in the slightest. I've had a great time here and when it comes to an end, it comes to an end.
'With this being my first job, and because it was so crazy how I came here, I just take life as it comes. Whatever happens, happens. I like that.'

GET TO KNOW...DANIELLE HAROLD

Pizza or pasta? Pizza. I’m a big fan of Two for Tuesday at Domino's! Everyone loves a bargain!
Nightclub or bar? I like a nice cocktail bar in the West End – if  I go clubbing I get a bad hangover.
Red Bull or coffee? I drink about three Red Bulls a day! I’m renowned for it on the EastEnders set - though I know it’s really bad for me.
Holidays - America or Europe? America, because there are so many places and the buzz is amazing.
Die Hard or Love Actually? The Die Hard films may be really old but they’re still fantastic action movies.
Party Wright Around The World or Educating Joey Essex? Educating Joey Essex - it was so funny, and I’m hoping it’s more than just a one-off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

your comments are welcome

Follow Me